On 9 Aug 2008, at 14:52, Yoav Luft wrote:

In an ideal world users should use their domain username & password to log on when they sit down at the Linux box. And they should be mounting the directories they need off the file server by (double-clicking on a drive icon on their KDE desktop if necessary and) using their same unique credentials (*not yours!*). If you want to fully implement this then it's not a two minute job; you shouldn't need much from the Windows IT admins except the name of the domain and perhaps the resolvable name of the domain master server - you should be able to test using your own domain \user:pass

That is, actually, what I'm trying to achieve, but what is crucial to the usability of the linux box is that each user (a would be developer) would have access to his own files and the departments files on the server without any knowledge of the working of Linux, Samba, or others. It would be especially nice if logon names would be taken from the server, and those relief users to manually add and configure more users. I can think on an awkward solution, making a script that sets up a new user and assumes the user name is the same as the one in the domain. But I am sure there is a cleaner, better solution, only that I haven't found it yet.
So, I will sum up shortly what I want, starting from most important:
1. Users will have access to the departments files without root access with their own privileges rather then mine (achieved through given sudo to mount, and putting it all in a script). 2. Users will have access to their own personal files (achieved through the same script. Not sure if it is run automatically when a user logs on) 3. Any user on the domain will be able to log on to the machine, and have access to his files, will automatically authenticate himself to network services, etc.

http://www.google.com/search?q=authenticating+linux+users+against +windows+domain

Sorry to say "read teh g0ggles, newb", but I'd need to read a number of these pages myself before I could say "you want to do it this way not that" or before I was even aware of the advantages & disadvantages of the different approaches.

Mostly you shouldn't need much from the Windows admins. If you were to install XP Pro on a new PC and bring it into the office, all you'd need to do is right-click on my computer and change from "My Workgroup" to "My Domain" (or "BobsElectricals" or whatever) - the next time the machine starts you'll need to log on using your username:password on the domain. Likewise all you *should* need to add the Linux box to the domain is its name, and perhaps the hostname / ip address of the master domain server.

The approach for mounting shares isn't obvious to me right now, but hopefully will become clear to you during the days that you spend setting the authentication up. On a Linux Samba box there is a special share called "homes" and mounting that seems to automatically use the ~ of the user authenticating; on Windows you can refer to % user%, although you probably can't combine these two methods directly. I don't use Linux on the desktop, but KDE or Gnome or whatever probably has a facility to run scripts upon logon; write a Bash script calling var=`whoami` ; mount \\domainserver\$var and put it in /etc/skel (or the KDE / Gnome equivalent).

Stroller.