Sebastian Günther wrote:
> That is what the 5% are for, as you saw there where stated as not
> available but they are for the superuser for such things.

So there is no way to free some space from journals.

> BTW: Why is your root so full, or didn't you partionate your disk?

I did not partitioned it myself. This server is inherited to me from last
admin.

~# df -h
/dev/sda1              19G   14G  3.5G  81% /
varrun                2.0G   76K  2.0G   1% /var/run
varlock               2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /var/lock
udev                  2.0G   88K  2.0G   1% /dev
devshm                2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sdb5              93G   59G   27G  69% /mnt/backup
/dev/mapper/main-usr   15G  601M   14G   5% /usr
/dev/mapper/main-var   30G  1.7G   27G   6% /var
/dev/mapper/main-db    69G  9.5G   56G  15% /var/lib/postgresql
/dev/sdc1              68G   35G   30G  55% /home/archive

~#  du --max-dep 1  -c  -hx  /
4.2M    /etc
36M     /tftpboot
16K     /lost+found
3.8G    /tmp
18M     /boot
1.4G    /home
8.0K    /mnt
12K     /media
254M    /root
4.0K    /var
4.0K    /srv
0       /sys
4.0K    /initrd
77M     /lib
0       /proc
4.0K    /opt
4.0K    /usr
6.4M    /sbin
3.5M    /bin
0       /dev
5.5G    /
5.5G    total

Last week, I was alarmed  that / root is 98 percent full. but I could not find
any reason why server is full. and a restart freed  8 gig of space. but now it
is again getting full slowly.

Any comment?

best wishes
Platoali