* Platoali ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [16.08.08 13:13]:
>  Sebastian Günther wrote:
> > OK here is a diference to big to be normal between df and du.
> >
> > 14GB against 5.5GB
> >
> > We are definetly missing something...
> >

> Yes, that is the strange thing.

This should definetly be investigated. This could be a hint that there
is someone else using this server, e.g. it could be hacked...

> > > Last week, I was alarmed  that / root is 98 percent full. but I could not
> > > find any reason why server is full. and a restart freed  8 gig of space.
> > > but now it is again getting full slowly.
> >
> > That's /tmp: try to watch, what actually is writing in it.
>
> I will  add a new hard and mount /tmp to it. I thing that is them most
> sensible solution.

No, you should definetly find out, who is writing such an enourmous
amount of data into your /tmp.

This is not OK, especially, if you can't find, what this actually is.

> Thanks
> Platoali

A sysadmin has always to be paranoid. And if I don't know what's going
on THEY are involved...

concerned
Sebastian

--
 " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. "      Karl Marx

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]@N GÜNTHER         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]