quoth the Momesso Andrea:

> Here are my questions:
>
> - Is gentoo pcc stable enough to work on a server?

I used an old G4 for a server for a while. I think I used a hardened profile.
The machine's specs were a little higher than yours I believe, but it wasnt a
speed demon or anything 433Mhz I think.

> - What kind of checks should I do to verify that the hardware
>   (expecially the disk) is fine?

smartmontools?

> - Is it possible to use the other server (x86) to build packages for the
>   ppc?

Yes, see the cross-compile gentoo docs.

> - Due to my limited space I'd like to mount some non-vital stuff on nfs
>   shares. Is it aviceable to mount /usp/portage on nfs? or maybe just
>   the distfiles?

I have both on NFS shares on my home network shared between 4 machines. Works
great...

> - What would you suggest for automatic daily backups?

Amanda, bacula?

> - I use gentoo as the only os on all my machines and it is the distro I
>   fell confortable with, but is it really a good choiche in this case?
>   Would a compiled distro better fit my needs?

It would certainly make things easier. My G4 was a headless server but it
still took a _very_ long time to build larger packages such as glibc etc. If
you set up cross-compile it may help with this.

> Thank yo in advance for your answers.

So: I did get PPC to work as a server, but it did have a few problems here and
there. This was just for hosting my personal website/server so it wasn't a
big deal. If your server is any sort of important you may want to look at
finding an old x86 box.

2cents,
-d