On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:49:27 +0200
Momesso Andrea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I alredy have a gentoo home server up and running with decent hardware
> (a FUJITSU SIEMENS Amilo M3438 laptop, Pentium M 1.86GHz, 1.5Gb ram)
> that I use for general purpose (backup, portage-rsync, bittorrent,
> groupware) and also for my wife's work (a joomla site, a ftp server,
> and a mailing list manager).
>
> The work my wife does as a researcher for the university is growing
> fast, her group relays in the ftp server for uploading important
> documents, and she also required me to set up a wiki.
>
> I now think it's time to set up something more "hardened" and to have
> a separated box for her work, to reduce the risk that I break things
> while trying experimental stuff, masked packeges ecc.
>
> It comes that they had from their  mentor an old iBook G3 to see if
> it fits their needs.
>
> I will recive the machine tonight and start to work on it this
> weekend, so yet I don't know the amount of memory it has, but I know
> for sure it's expandible to 544Mb, and I will surely do the upgrade
> if needed.
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> - Is gentoo pcc stable enough to work on a server?
>
> - What kind of checks should I do to verify that the hardware
>   (expecially the disk) is fine?
>
> - Is it possible to use the other server (x86) to build packages for
> the ppc?
>
> - Due to my limited space I'd like to mount some non-vital stuff on
> nfs shares. Is it aviceable to mount /usp/portage on nfs? or maybe
> just the distfiles?
>
> - What would you suggest for automatic daily backups?
>
> - I use gentoo as the only os on all my machines and it is the distro
> I fell confortable with, but is it really a good choiche in this case?
>   Would a compiled distro better fit my needs?
>
> Thank yo in advance for your answers.

If you are round a university, I would actually suggest asking around
and seeing if there are old P3 workstations being thrown out. With a
little TLC, gentoo runs nicely on such hardware, especially as a
headless server in a corner. Such a box would also offer a LOT more
flexibility than an old laptop would, and they will probably be
delighted to get rid of it!

Rob.

(Has a little collection of such "rescued" machines.)