On Sunday 21 December 2008 03:44:37 pm Justin wrote:
> Jeff Cranmer schrieb:
> >>
> >> reinstall and never change this variable. Stick to the many guides out
> >> there. Your system is broken and fixing takes the same effort than
> >> reinstalling.
> >
> > Except reinstalling raises the specter of losing all my key data.  The
> > guides are written for a blank system.  That is not what I have.  The
> > problem is with glibc.  Why can't I fix glibc and then to an emerge -eav
> > from there?
> >
> > Jeff
>
> boot livecd, mount the disc as described in the official manuals [1],
> extract a propriate tarball, remove all /etc/portage/packages*, review
> make.conf, emerge -e system, will bring back your system.

OK - since I'm no gentoo expert, I need to define the exact procedure here
before I'm going to attempt this, so I have a number of questions:

(1) If I remove /etc/portage/packages*, nothing will be removed, as nothing
matches that search string, so what exactly should I be removing?  Do you
mean remove the entire contents of /etc/portage?  If I do this, I'll lose all
the package.use, keywords, mask information that I have set up.  Why is this
necessary?  It seems that this will just break my system further.

(2) In my system, swap is /dev/sda2, boot is /dev/sda5, and root is /dev/sda3
I should skip the fdisk commands, then
swapon /dev/sda2
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/gentoo/boot
cd /mnt/gentoo
Is this correct?

(3) After extracting the stage3 tarball for an amd64 system, downloaded using
links http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml
with the command
tar xvjpf stage3-*.tar.bz2, I can then proced with editing make.conf, as I
don't need to reinstall a portage snapshot (since I already have one set up
from my present install).
Is this correct?

(4) After editing the make.conf file, verifying that it is correct for a 64
bit system, I then can run the command
emerge -e world, and everything should compile correctly?

(5) With this method, I will not lose any other key settings such as video,
kde etc.
Is this correct?

Jeff