On Sunday 21 December 2008 21:09:33 Jeff Cranmer wrote:

> > > I'm not an expert, and I don't have a second amd64 machine.  My laptop
> > > runs a different PC processor type.  How would I go about
> > > cross-compiling an amd64 binary on my laptop, and creating the
> > > necessary .tbz2 tarball. If I could do that, I would probably be able
> > > to test out the theory that this would fix my broken system.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Jeff
> >
> > Perhaps you should go back to a lower glib version. Latest versions of
> > such important packages might always have issues.
>
> What is the approved way to do this?

There is no approved way to downgrade glibc. The output message from the error
you posted tells you why the devs will not provide you with a method to do
it. If you *really* want to do it, your could comment out the "if" statement
between lines 159 and 163 of the latest glibc ebuild.

The only correct way I know of is to perform a reinstall. It'll probable be
quicker, easier and far less painful than trying to recover from ripping the
foundation out from under your OS...

However, did you notice that the parent poster mentioned glib and you have
attempted to downgrade glibc?

--
Alan McKinnon
Systems Engineer