Mick wrote:
> On Monday 29 December 2008, Dale wrote:
>
>> Norberto Bensa wrote:
>>

>>> Do you use evdev?
>>>

>> This is what I have installed according to equery:
>>
>> r...@smoker / # equery list dev
>> [ Searching for package 'dev' in all categories among: ]
>>  * installed packages
>> [I--] [ ~] kde-base/kdewebdev-meta-3.5.10 (3.5)
>> [I--] [  ] sys-fs/device-mapper-1.02.24-r1 (0)
>> [I--] [  ] sys-fs/udev-124-r1 (0)
>> r...@smoker / #
>>
>> Point is, the only thing that changes is the kernel.  Same KDE, same
>> user, same everything except for the kernel.  Is there something
>> different that the new kernels require with regard to udev?  Do I need a
>> newer unstable udev installed for the new kernels?
>>

> The package/driver is evdev (not udev).
>
> I wouldn't be joining the chorus of disgruntled users pointing at half baked
> kernels with problematic drivers because kernels (for me) have been pretty
> stable for years now.  However, that was before 2.6.27-gentoo-r7.  My problem
> seems to be two fold:
>
> a)Looong delay (around a whole minute or so) waiting on the penguin logo
> before the kernel is loaded and the main boot up occurs.
> b)My sound card is not recognised by alsa which barfs and never loads.
>
> I have posted on a different thread (which has not attracted any responses)
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/207339
>
> and I assume that my kernel problems are not that common in the Gentoo user
> community.  I haven't yet posted a bug on it - but if subsequent kernels do
> not fix it and my confidence that I have not performed some kernel
> configuration error increases I will do so.  After all without bug reports
> how would the devs know what's borked for the users?

Well, I use make oldconfig and generally say no to the new stuff.  That
way I have the same config as the old but with bug fixes.  That has
worked for me for a long time but once I get past 2.6.23, I have trouble
with it.

I would assume I don't have evdev here.  Since I asked equery for
anything with dev in it, it should have listed it if it was installed.
That is why I ask if there was something new.  I can't say that I have
ever heard of evdev before.

Dale

:-)  :-)