On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 15:06:28 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> > > I've seen a dev complain that most of the problems he's had to deal
> > > with have been due to oldconfig, so I don't use it at all. I copy
> > > the config in from the previous tree, then I run menuconfig and
> > > search for lines ending in [NEW] or [DEPRECATED].
> >
> > How is this different from using make oldconfig, apart from the UI?
>
> I don't know; I just pick up my clues where I can. Perhaps there's a
> difference in handling of unchanged or default values.

Unchanged values are just that. When a config option is new, make
oldconfig prompts for a choice,with a default option (the same default
that menuconfig uses). The only real difference is that with menuconfig
you have to go through the options, looking for those marked NEW (and
risking missing an important one) while oldconfig presents them to you in
sequence,asking for your choice on each one.

I have boxes running 2.6.28 on which I have used oldconfig on every
change since switching them from2.4 to 2.6.

--
Neil Bothwick

You know it's going to be a bad day when you forget your new password.