On Wednesday 07 January 2009 00:37:31 Denis wrote:
> I'm doubtful that using oldconfig would make a driver not work because
> I have done it this way for a while, going between various 2.6.x
> versions, like 2.6.21 to 2.6.24...  And there was never an issue.
> Maybe the E1000 driver somehow got messed up in this particular
> version of the kernel.
>
> Now, that e1000e driver someone mentioned - how is it different from
> the e1000 driver, and does the kernel float two versions, or it
> depends on which kernel it is?

e1000e breaks the hardware
e1000 does not break the hardware
Or maybe it's the other way round

Anyway, two different drivers for the same hardware, the broken one was
removed from the sources till it gets fixed. You can always build both
drivers in a case like this but obviously you can only use one of them at a
time

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com