090106 Willie Wong wrote:
> you may want to change the root line to "root=purslow",
> so the mail gets sent to purslow instead of postmaster
> (which according to /etc/mail/aliases becomes root again).

That doesn't work, but adding '> /dev/null' or '-s' in  crontab  does.
The latter seems simpler, so that's what I've done.

It doesn't explain why the problem suddenly arose last Sunday
after I made a simple editing change in  .fetchmailrc
& nothing like this had happened before
with the same  crontab  &  ssmtp.conf : perhaps there's an obscure bug,
but the irritating problem has been resolved & I have other jobs today.

Thanks for the helpful advice (smile).

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca