Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> writes:

>> Also, have you updated either cron or fetchmail recently?
>
> The problem originated 090104 c0520 ,
> when I edited  ~/.fetchmailrc  to delete the reference to a logfile.
> However, attempts to restore the STATVS QVO ANTE have failed:
> I've restored the previous version of  .fetchmailrc  without success
> & I've remerged Fetchmail, rebooted & then run  fetchmailconf ,
> but the crazy mails continue to appear every  5 min  in my inbox.

I think that looks like normal cron mail...

Looks like you may have once had a redirect to `/dev/null' in the
crontab line and inadvertently removed it.

My fetchmail line in crontab:

  */15 * * * *   /usr/bin/fetchmail -f /home/reader/.fetchmailrc   >/dev/null
2>&1

Note the difference with yours:
  */5 * * * * /usr/bin/fetchmail

Not redirect in yours but note that I dump any output to /dev/null

You may first want to just say `cmd >/dev/null'

So that any errors are still send to you but once its working smoothly
you can add 2>&1 like  `cmd >/dev/null 2>&1' so that both stderr and
stdout go to dev/null

I think you can also do the same thing like this  `cmd  &>/dev/null