>Basically I build the kernel using make && make modules_install and
>then copy the kernel by hand

Good god. So I'm not alone in being a dumbass :)
And I was getting really worried that I had made a fool of myself by
posting earlier and admitting my 'stupidity' ;)

Coming from debian, with all that fancy 'make-kpkg'-stuff and not
finding any particular extensive instructions among the gentoo docs
regarding the nature of kernel building and version handling, I just
went the 'by hand route', assuming it was the 'gentoo way'.

Seeing I'm not alone, maybe the documentation should be changed to make
this (non)-issue a tad clearer. Or maybe it actually is, and I just
missed something...

Tom