On Mittwoch 22 April 2009, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > > Be very careful as GNU tar is buggy and does not always like to read
> > > continuation volumes from multi volume archives. This is extremely
> > > nasty as you will realize the problem once it is too late.
> >
> > oh really? it works very well with my tapelib. And yes, restore works.
>
> There is a 1-5% chance that GNU tar does fail this way, did you try to
> restore enough GNU tar multi-volume archives? Did you restore more than 100
> multi-volume archives?

No, just a couple of douzend so far. My lib takes 8 cardridges. So far no
problems. I did maybe four or five complete restores so far. Before that I had
a single dlt drive and played disc jokey - no problems there too. So I am well
below the 100 multi-volume archives, but well above the 30 mark.

> GNU tar uses a method for multi-volume archives that cannot support all
> possible cases. Star uses a mwthod that is granted to always work reliably.
>
> > > GNU tar also does not support to archive all meta data from Linux.
> >
> > which is only relevant if you use acls, isn't it?
>
> ACLs, xattrs and others.

okay. Then tar is still good enough for me.

See, it is a good thing that you wrote star (and cdrecord and other things).
Your code is much appreciated - but I am very reluctant to use a piece of
software when another one I am currently using is 'good enough' for me.
Since I don't use acls or xattrs the lack of support in gnu tar does not hurt
me. I also had a hard time to figure out the optimal command line to use my
tapelib - I don't want to do that again with star if I don't have to.

> > > I recommend to use star. Star implementes reliable multi volume support
> > > and archives all meta data that is available on Linux. Only a reliable
> > > multi volume support inside the archiver allows you to read back
> > > archives starting past volume#1.
> >
> > can star decompress files?
>
> Are you kidding?

nope.
http://bulk.fefe.de/lk2006/

For some reason, my tar hung on Solaris. I have no idea why. truss showed that
it wasn't in a syscall at that time. So I used star instead. Turns out that
star can't do "star xzf -", it will say "Can only compress files." ROTFL! OK,
so I used "|gzip -dc|star xf -" instead. What the hell.