On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:07:14 +0200 (CEST), Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> I have 4 identical machines, they only differ in the 2 files
> /etc/conf.d/hostname
> /etc/conf.d/net
>
> I'd like to maintain only one of them (updating
> GenToo upto several times a week)
> and 'rsync' the other ones.
>
> Now, rsync'ing a life root filesystem is risky.
> I don't see any problems for the FS holding /usr.

The whole idea sounds a little risky. I'd use binary packages to keep the
other machines up to date. Set FEATURES="buildpkg" in make.conf on each
computer and set PKGDIR to a directory accessible by all over NFS. Run
your normal emerge -u --whatever world on the first then run the same
with -k on the others. That way they all get the same updates but only
the first has to compile them.

I'd also set up distcc to reduce compile times, but that's a separate
step.

--
Neil Bothwick

Very funny Scotty.. now beam down my pants!