On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:59:02 +0200 (CEST), Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> I've done so in the past but I've made bad experience.
> Unfortunately portage isn't so clever, yet.

portage is a lot cleverer than it used to be, especially with regard to
blocks.

> Many times (on the 'clones', as well) I had to block packages before
> emerge and then unblock again. I even had to unmerge some packages
> temporarily and emerge them later on again.

It sounds like you were using -K rather than -k or trying to build binary
packages with --buildpkgonly, which is doomed to failure when trying to
build dependent packages.

--
Neil Bothwick

Maybe... How much are you bribing me this time?