On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:07:14 +0200 (CEST)
Helmut Jarausch <jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 4 identical machines, they only differ in the 2 files
> /etc/conf.d/hostname
> /etc/conf.d/net
>
> I'd like to maintain only one of them (updating
> GenToo upto several times a week)
> and 'rsync' the other ones.

hmm... network booting?  network mounting?  install packages once on
one system, share them with everyone.  Share passwd/shadow files and
the like manually, or symlink them to skeletal versions symlinked to
somewhere that can be obscured and replaced by a network boot.  you
could even boot them from thumb drives or cds.

of course, it would be a good bit of work to configure initially,
and might not go whithout a hitch.