On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:21:06 -0800, fe...@crowfix.com wrote:

> I have a G1, normal model, not flashed.  I too wanted it because of
> its physical keyboard, but then someone developed a pay program ($5 I
> think, well worth it) called Better Keyboard which has been so good
> that I don't use the physical keyboard any more and no longer consider
> it a necessity, at least for Android.  Friends who have an iPhone say
> this Better Keyboard is better than the iPhone's soft keyboard.

I'll give that a try. The Android soft keyboard is OK, but nothing to
write home about... or with.

> One problem with the G1 is its small memory, making it possible that
> it won't be able to use the 2.0 features.  It can take humonguous SD
> chips, but the internal program flash is just too small.

I believe it's already been stated that 2.0 won't be pushed out to the
G-1.

> Plus it does
> not have multitouch like the iPhone or the new Motorola Droid, which
> would be a big improvement.

That's a software limitation, the touchscreen supports multitouch and
I've seen a hacked G-1 with multitouch working.

> I have not looked into these new phones much because my G1 is only a
> year old, still runs fine, and still has a year to go on the danged
> contract.  But if I were looking for a new phone today, I would start
> by investigating the Maemo, then look at other Androids which don't
> have a physical keyboard but do have multitouch, and finally at the
> Droid.

I had more or less decided to go for the N900 when my contract expires in
a few months, then Motorola confused things by releasing the Droid. Now
I'm as confused as a baby in a topless bar.

> Here are some of the things I like about Better Keyboard:

Is this in the Market? If so, I'll give it a try as you can get a refund
on paid programs within the first 24 hours.

--
Neil Bothwick

IBM - I Blame Microsoft