Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Saturday 12 December 2009 21:42:13 Dale wrote:
And some would also argue that cycling power on and off is actually bad for the rig as well. Keeping things at a constant temp is better than fluctuating temps. The old expanding and contracting of material argument. Sort of strange that computers that run a lot last a loooong time.

This is perfectly true and a well-proven fact. Thermal recycling is not good for electronics. It is good for your electricity bill though....

Tektronix did some proper lab tests many many years ago on their top-of-the-
line oscilloscopes. They found that the calibration interval could be tripled if the rig was never switched off (just turn down the brightness overnight)

I know I have read that several times but I didn't know someone actually tested the thing. I know my BBQ grill would be better off if I could run it all the time. You have to understand, I had this little table top grill that was stainless steel. I have had that thing for ages and I loved it. I could cook some mean steaks and burgers on it. Anyway, it didn't rust through but it just flaked off on the bottom. It is the heating and cooling cycles that does this. I had the same thing happen to a old wood burning heater we had ages ago. It just got old and the metal was thin even tho it wasn't rusted or anything. It sure was lighter going out of the house than it was coming in. It took six to get it in but only two to take it out. Isn't there metal in CPUs, memory chips and stuff? I know there is silicone but I assume there is metal like copper or something in there too. They can't like heat cycles either. They are so small nowadays.

Dale

:-) :-)