On Wednesday 16 December 2009 23:06:00 Xavier Parizet wrote:
> Le mercredi 16 décembre 2009 21:44:29, Alan Mackenzie a écrit :
> > Hi, gentoo,
> >
> > I've just emerged xorg-x11, and noticed that I had a wrong setting for
> > VIDEO_CARDS in /etc/make.conf.  Does emerge have a facility to rebuild
> > only those portions of xorg-x11 dependent on that setting, or do I have
> > to start again from scratch?  I've perused the emerge man page, but not
> > found this situation addressed.
> >
> > Thanks for the help!
>
> Actually it's not possible because when a package is merged with success,
>  the build tree is deleted from /var/tmp/portage.
> The only choice you have is to rebuild the whole package using emerge --
> oneshot package.
> By the way, the rebuild will also pull the new dependencies implied by the
>  new use flags settings.

OT for the original question, but there is a way to lessen the amount of work
done if a package may need to be merged (or attempted to be merged)
repeatedly. You have to do it manually though:

- ensure all needed deps are already installed
- ebuild <package> <command>

where <command> is on of fetch, unpack, compile, install, etc as detailed in
the ebuild man page. You can't restart a failed compile from where it left off
[you can do that if you are running make manually, but ebuild abstracts that
away] but at least some work can be omitted.

If course, this in no way answers the original question, but it's occasionally
useful to know

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com