Hi, Neil,

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:05:40PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 20:44:29 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > I've just emerged xorg-x11, and noticed that I had a wrong setting
> > for VIDEO_CARDS in /etc/make.conf.  Does emerge have a facility to
> > rebuild only those portions of xorg-x11 dependent on that setting,
> > or do I have to start again from scratch?  I've perused the emerge
> > man page, but not found this situation addressed.

> VIDEO_CARDS sets USE flags, so emerge -uavDN world.

I've done that, but it failed to rebuild my xorg-x11.  I've still got
the version from last night, even though I've changed USE flags (via
setting VIDEO_CARDS) in /etc/make.conf.

/etc/make.conf has a later timestamp than /usr/bin/Xorg, yet this
doesn't trigger the -N flag.  I'm misunderstanding something significant
here.  The emerge man page is not explicit in how it determines "new"
USE flags.

If I wanted just to remove Xorg, together with the 188 other packages
installed with it, would it be correct to run these commands:

    emerge --unmerge xorg-x11
    emerge --depclean

?

TVM!