On Friday 08 January 2010 10:06:27 Dale wrote:
> > Yes, that's reasonable. RH shipped KDE-3.5 with fully supported versions
> > of  RHEL, and those versions are still current. So just like RH backport
> > useful kernel code into their shipped versions, we can expect RH to at
> > least deal with critical security bugs. They likely will not add new
> > features to KDE-3.5 though.
> >
> > There's no inside info here, I'm just stating the way these things
> > usually  work out there in the marketplace
> >

> But KDE still dropped the support tho?  That was my point.  It wasn't
> Redhat, Gentoo, SuSe or some other distro or even me that dropped it, it
> was KDE that dropped it.

Yes, upstream stopped maintaining KDE. Which leaves RH without an upstream
maintainer, so RH will likely step in to fill the breach. They made promises
to their customers and they do tend to keep their promises.

> Now to this question, will what Redhat is doing ever make it to the
> kde-sunset overlay?  Or will that be so far out that KDE 4 will finally
> be ready by that time?

That's totally up to whoever steps up to the plate and decides to do some
maintenance on kde-sunset. RH publishes their patches per the GPL so if the
kde-sunset maintainer decides to apply the patches then you will benefit. If
the kde-sunset maintainer does not apply the patches, or if there is no kde-
sunset maintainer, then you will not benefit.

The kde-sunset maintainer could even be you.

None of this has any definite predictions surrounding it. It all totally
depends on someone having the balls to maintain kde-sunset and actually doing
so. Maybe KDE-3.5 users get lucky and someone decides to fork the project and
breathe new life into it - that could even be you. The only actual reason you
have not forked and maintain KDE-3.5 is because you have not decided to do so.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com