Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 16:58:31 -0600, Dale wrote:

Can you accept the fact that KDE dropped support for KDE 3?

Of course, they have stated so themselves.

KDE dropped the ball.

This is the statement I disagreed with. Dropping support is a fact, based
on a sound decision. This statement is you saying they were wrong, purely
because their decision does not suit you. KDE 4 is workable, it's not as
mature as 3.5 and I only switched a few months ago, but it is getting
there and better in many respects. Diverting resources to work on an
obsolete product would only slow the development of KDE 4. KDE 3 still
works so what's the problem?

It's not like they switched off KDE 3, they just stopped adding new
features, which makes perfect sense to me. There are people in a position
to fix and security issues that may arise, but that doesn't have to be
KDE themselves, and wasn't always them in a past.

You say they dropped support.  I call it dropping the ball.  Same thing.

As bad as I hate M$, one thing I can say, they have never to my knowledge dropped support for a OS unless and until the replacement is fully functional and stable, as finctional and stable as windoze can get anyway. At least they don't leave people with a unsupported OS while they spend a year or two getting the new one ironed out. I don't think KDE will take that long but winders does. Most reasonable people agree that KDE should have supported KDE 3 for at least a few more months. You say KDE 4 is workable. For me, it isn't. If I log into KDE 4, I have to switch back to KDE 3 to do some of my normal day to day things. Some of the things I do can't be done in KDE 4 yet. They will be when they get the time to fix it but right now it doesn't work, for me or others on the KDE mailing list. The problems I ran into have already been discussed on the KDE mailing list and they say I just have to wait until it gets fixed, updated or just plain coded in. So, KDE 3 is still not being supported even after all this. Nothing has changed. Who would have thunk it?

Dale

:-) :-)