Harry Putnam wrote:

> Using only the current setup, that is, one with hal and dbus installed
> and one that does not use xorg.conf... and apparently does not use
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d either... since that directory is not present.
>
> But yet an X display happens when I type `startx', apparently
> generated somewhere automatically.
>
> What I'm asking is where does one make customizations to that auto
> generated process... something is doing it.. some file or something is
> involved... but what and where?

Ok, sorry, misinterpreted your last mail; I thought we discussed
_future_ xorg layout... Anyway, xorg.conf again; afaiu, X will auto
detect every setting not in xorg.conf, which means you can have a
minimal xorg.conf and let X auto detect all the other settings...
dependent on, of course, that your hardware plays nice (i.e. your screen
sends proper edid info etc.)

HTH

Best regards

Peter K