Greetings,

This morning, all of the sudden, I'm encountering process creation
problems.  The problems seem to affect only bash.  There are no problems
starting X applications like firefox and open office.

FWIW, my usual "update world" was done yesterday (and emerged the
packages listed at the end of this message).

Anybody have suggestions regarding the symptoms given below?

Regards,

David

### symptoms ###

Attempting to start a new terminal session from an existing terminal
session (using ctrl-shft-N).

   There was an error creating the child process for this terminal

and a terminal window without a prompt (not running bash??)  The same
message and window appear when I try to start one from the GNOME menu.