H'lo Willie,

The output of "ls /dev/pt*" is suspiciously short:

   r...@osage / # ls /dev/pts
      /dev/ptmx

      /dev/pts:

udev was emerged twice quite recently:
  1/26 upgrade from 141-r1 to 146-r2
  1/32 downgrade from 146-r2 to 146-r1

My computer was last rebooted 21 days ago.

As you seem to suspect udev and /dev/pt* seems b0rked, I'll try
downgrading back to 141-r1 to see what happens.

Regards,

David