On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:27:14 -0500
Willie Wong wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 04:08:58PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
> > The output of "ls /dev/pt*" is suspiciously short:
> >
> >    r...@osage / # ls /dev/pts
> >       /dev/ptmx
> >
> >       /dev/pts:
>
> That's it? There's nothing under /dev/pts? And you have terminals
> running in X?

> > > Also, can you log-in on a vc? If you are in X, hit ctrl-alt-f2
> > > and try to log into the console?
> >
> > Works fine ...
> >
> > Looking at "ls -l /dev/vc*" I see timestamps of "2010-02-02
> > 23:34".  At 23:31 that day,
> >
> >    openrc was upgraded from 0.3.0-r1 to 0.6.0-r1.
> >    sysvinit was upgraded from 2.86-r10 to 2.87-r
>
> This is possibly a problem. I am guessing that if you issue 'mount',
> devpts is not mounted. The mounting of that pseudo filesystem is
> relegated to /etc/init.d/devfs, which belongs to openrc.
>
> What is the output of 'rc-status sysinit'?

Hi Willie,

Your replies are much appreciated as we're in an area of Linux about
which I'm poorly informed.

Output (below) of "rc-status sysinit" indicated devfs stopped, so I
started devfs (which didn't change /dev/pt*), then restarted udev
(which didn't affect /dev/pt*).

Regards,

David

### output follows ###

r...@osage portage # rc-status sysinit
Runlevel: sysinit
 dmesg [  stopped  ]
 udev [  started  ]
 devfs [  stopped  ]

r...@osage portage # service devfs status
 * status: started

r...@osage portage # rc-status sysinit
Runlevel: sysinit
 dmesg [  stopped  ]
 udev [  started  ]
 devfs [  started  ]

r...@osage portage # ls /dev/pt*
/dev/ptmx

/dev/pts:

r...@osage portage # service udev restart
 * WARNING: you are stopping a sysinit service
 * Stopping udevd ... [ ok ]
 * Starting udevd ... [ ok ]
 * Populating /dev with existing devices through uevents ... [ ok ]
 * Waiting for uevents to be processed ... [ ok ]

r...@osage portage # ls /dev/pt*
/dev/ptmx

/dev/pts:
r...@osage portage #