On Wednesday 10 March 2010 15:46:03 Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2010-03-10 8:38 AM, Dale wrote:
> > I use make oldconfig all the time and have only had problems with it
> > once.  I would trust make oldconfig looong before I would even think to
> > trust genkernel.  I have never got it to work for me.
> >
> > Using make oldconfig should be fine for the OP.
>
> My point is, the recommended method per the official gentoo docs/kernel
> upgrade guide is

Let me correct you on your misunderstanding:

The current opinion of the current author of the kernel upgrade guide says
what you quoted.

It's his opinion, it's what he thinks will work best for the majority of
people. It's probably also the wording that has been proven to result in the
least bugzilla entries and the fewest mails in his inbox from the "Help me!"
mob.

It's not a technical data sheet, and what you quote is not a fact

> , using make oldconfig is only recommended for minor
> bumps of the same kernel version, and for major updates - and again,
> yes, even going from 2.6.30 to 2.6.31 is a 'major' update, copying the
> old .config then doing make menuconfig is the preferred/recommended way.
>
> If you want to live dangerously, that is fine, but please do not ignore
> the fact that it is *not* the *recommended/preferred* - ie *safest* - way.

Wrong. See above.

How do I know this? I too write technical docs. I too write them to minimize
the size of my inbox. Do you think for a minute I actually *follow* the advice
of give to others less knowledgeable than myself?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com