On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:27:19 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:

> > I see what you mean about the guide and consider it wrong, especially
> > for an advanced section. You are more likely to run into problems
> > when not reusing your old config that when using make oldconfig.
>
> But... my understanding is that, by copying your old .config to the new
> kernel dir before running make menuconfig, you *are* reusing your old
> config... I sure hope I'm not reading *that* wrong. ;)

No you're not. But it is far easier to miss important changes without
oldconfig to point them out to you by shoving them in your face.

> > Even the comment about context isn't really true, as oldconfig shows
> > some context and the same help that menuconfig does.
>
> Ok... well, this is how I've always done it, and I'm comfortable with
> it, so don't see a reason to change.

Each to their own.

> Maybe I'll try running make oldconfig one day just to see how it
> differs...

It's not black magic, it just shows you any new options that are not
present in your config, offers you choices along with a default and a
chance to read the help text for that option. If you're feeling paranoid,
diff the config it generates with the one you started with.

--
Neil Bothwick

BING But It's Not Google