Dear John--

Although not nearly a perfect analogy, the situation we are in is a bit like
society being asked to jump from the top floor of a skyscraper that is
burning amidst a city that is also burning‹and society is being asked to
jump relying on a parachute that has gone through only very limited testing.
While it might seem the best thing to do, a safe landing depends not only on
the effectiveness of the parachute, but also on the fire below being put
out, or one will just be consumed a bit later than the situation now. Those
reluctant to jump have an impression that the act of jumping with a
parachute might be seen by those who are (or need to be) fighting the fire
as reducing their urgency and dedication to putting out the fire, as the
jumper now has a bit more time before being endangered. With this as the
perception, critics of jumping  think it best if one not jump quite yet‹let
the fire get worse so it is really clear it must be put out. What is a bit
troubling is that the effective way out of this dilemma might be to find a
way to try to keep aloft indefinitely, a path that would require one to
depart the skyscraper in a different sort of contraption‹so one waits to
figure out what that alternative might be, hoping there really is such a
device as the fire coming up the skyscraper is clearly getting hotter and
nearer.

Likening this situation to 9/11 and the World Trade Center, the only ones
who made it out safely were those who made a mad dash down the stairs‹so
those advocating sharp emission reductions suggest that is the only way to
go. Had there been parachutes on the roof, at what point would those with
the parachutes have jumped‹and might they have just come down in the great
debris cloud or been able to figure out a path to safety amidst all the
debris and other hazards? In my view, jumping early is just not generally in
society¹s nature‹witness the decisions to rebuild New Orleans and Galveston,
choices that seem unsustainable in the longer-term.

In seems to me that it will take agreement on a comprehensive, multi-part,
long-term agreement to eliminate emissions among all nations to really
generate some action, with geoengineering being a part of the effort for of
order several decades. That way, the full set of implications and impacts
and approaches is dealt with together‹and geoengineering would be seen as a
necessary component of the full effort rather than as a short-term ad hoc
choice. I just think arguing for geoengineering alone (or nearly alone) will
be a hard sell, except to those of us who agree with Hansen that we are
already past the appropriate concentration threshold for dangerous change.

Mike M