From: omeconom...@googlemail.com [omeconom...@googlemail.com] On Behalf Of
Oliver Morton [olivermor...@economist.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:48 PM
To: Rau, Greg
Cc: rongretlar...@comcast.net; kcaldeira-gmail; geoengineering
Subject: Re: [geo] Re: calling all CDRers

>From Green Futures magazine, this week, by Alan Knight, who is the director of
>the Earth Challenge

 http://www.forumforthefuture.org/greenfutures/articles/Virgin_25million_fix

With 2,600 submissions, why is no one top dog?

Question: how can $25 million be too much money and also not enough at the same
time?

Answer: when it is a prize for a way to remove greenhouse gases from the air.

This paradox has been instrumental in shaping the Virgin Earth
Challenge<http://www.virgin.com/subsites/virginearth/>, right from its
conception, to our present interest in looking at how we can add value to the
wider debate around carbon negative proposals.

The prize was launched on a cold February morning in 2007 by Sir Richard
Branson, Al Gore, James Lovelock, Tim Flannery, Dr. James Hansen and Sir
Crispin Tickell. Its official purpose was simple and clear:

"$25 million for whoever can demonstrate to the judges' satisfaction a
commercially viable design which results in the removal of anthropogenic,
atmospheric greenhouse gases."

We know that $25 million would be a huge contribution to any group's work in
this field. One scientist said to me that they suspected this sum exceeded the
total spend on the relevant science to date.

The amount is also too small. It is a crude but not unreasonable assumption
that the amount of resources (be it trees or machines) required to take carbon
out of the air will roughly parallel the resources that – intentionally or not
– put the excess carbon into the air in the first place. Therefore, if the
world was to sequester greenhouse gases on a scale that makes a material
contribution to hitting our emissions targets, overall investments of several
billions would probably be required.

A key requirement for any prize-winner was a commercially viable way of taking
carbon out of the air, and keeping it out. We asked: "Could you really build
it, and could you make money, or at least break even, from building it?" But
there are clearly other considerations too: the wider economic, environmental
and social impacts must be clearly understood if a technology is to be properly
governed.

As the Royal Society has shown, some carbon sequestration technologies appear
to come out safer than others, and naturally we will be using that type of
thinking to influence the ideas we support. We do, however, feel that all new
technologies in this field, and most other fields for that matter, must address
their wider impacts if they are to one day work effectively at scale. This
cannot be achieved without sufficient collaboration, understanding and
communication between people with different points of view and different
stakes. And when it comes to carbon-negative technologies, we feel businesses
have a valid point of view and so need to take part in that dialogue.

So how is the original prize doing? Well, it's time for an official
announcement:

Drumroll…

"…and the winner of the Virgin Earth Prize is, at the moment…

…Nobody."

Disappointing yes, but honest. ...

[more at
http://www.forumforthefuture.org/greenfutures/articles/Virgin_25million_fix]

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Rau, Greg