Albert:

1. Thanks for this information on Bayer. Googling I found a bit more at
http://www.chemicals-technology.com/projects/bayer-co2-plastics/
which hints that the catalyst somehow involves zinc.

2. As described, I would put this in the carbon neutral, not CDR category. Of
course if the CO2 came from biomass combustion, I would count it as CDR then -
as in BECS. It is commendable to move from carbon positive towards carbon
neutrality, but we should be talking on this list only of carbon negativity. So
far, Bayer is not yet close.

3. The difficulty I see in the limited information availableis that the energy
needed to productively use the CO2 (from either a fossil or biomass source) may
exceed the energy need to simply have liquified the CO2 and inserted it deep
underground as in "normal" CCS. If anyone has seen energy computations for this
new Bayer use of the output CO2, that data would be helpful to many on this
list. Then we can begin to guesstimate the impact on costs.

4. Biochar can be formed either when the input biomass is used for electrical
power production or for biofuels. So Biochar proponents are sure to say that
the needed CO2 can indeed be obtained as one makes charcoal - and increases
(approximately by a factor of 2) the carbon negativity of any Biochar process
that involves power production (as would taking the same CO2 and putting it
underground ala BECS).

5. I am uncertain of this, but think that the same plastic can probably be made
entirely starting with biomass, and to the extent the plastic's lifetime is
suitably long (not later combusted), that also would be CDR - and carbon
negative. However, there is also a waste disposal issue for waste plastics; it
might be better to make bio-disposable plastics - which then again are not
carbon negative.

6. The difference in using biomass for Biochar operations is that the Biochar
(necessarily the char must be placed in the ground for soil augmentation to be
called Biochar; placing char in an unused mine is not to be called Biochar)
provides ongoing annual benefits. I am unaware of any other approach besides
Biochar that claims annual carbon negative benefits. In the Amazon today, such
century-old soils are 2-3 times more productive than adjacent non char-amended
soils.(and worth 5-6 times as much to the land-owner - while eliminating the
claimed food-energy conflict). The Biochar also has continuing (maybe equal)
value in modifying the nitrogen cycle (hundreds of times more climate serious
than CO2). There are also claimed annual benefits with water and methane
control..

7. I have yet to see an analysis that credibly counts all of these out-year
Biochar values - none(?) of which are captured when using the biomass for
making a plastic or sending biomass or bio-CO2 underground. But making plastics
from biomass rather than fossil sources is clearly moving in a good direction.
And productively using the CO2 from biomass combustion (making char or not)
sounds promising. It just depends on the energy needed to do what Bayer
(commendably) is attempting. My (very limited) understanding of the Chemistry
here says that the zinc(?) catalyst breakthrough may be hugely important, but
that the energy requirement is still apt to be quite high. CO2 is a tough
molecule to crack - and the secret is presumably in what the CO2 is being
turned into (not just creating C and O2). If this is truly a breakthrough in
catalyst technology, it also makes Biochar more competitive in the (mostly
unappreciated) carbon-negative (CDR) market place.

Again - thanks for the news notice. .

Ron