Will,

You can be persuasive..are you a lawyer?:)

If it may please the court......?

* Somehow I think we know a lot more about the brake systems of cars,
borne out by 100 years of experience, than the effectiveness of SRM
technologies. Beyond the fact that a number of experts have
acknowledged potential diminution of effectiveness (and yes, including
feedback mechanisms) or downright failure, this issue can't be
blithely dismissed. The US spent less than $2m last year on dedicated GE
research. Most of the knowledge accumulated on the concept has been through
unrelated investigations. Even so, there is a substantial amount of
knowledge available to guide the initial effort. If GE becomes mainstream
ie. "Strong Normal", the issue of unknowns will be resolved in quick order.

Plus, I think you miss the larger issue, which is
the fact that a future generation might wish to no longer be under the
yoke of SRM given potentially very negative impacts (e.g. impacts on
monsoons or ozone depletion), yet it would be compelled to do so
because of termination effects that far exceed business as usual
warming impacts Hold on, "business as usual warming impacts" can mean that
your off-springs never see the light of day. A methane tipping point is
highly probable.

(that's why your argument below, that we're already
geoengineering the climate via our current policies is not entirely
compelling from my perspective).(????) It may not be compelling to you,
however, it is a fact!

The point is that intergenerational
equity requires us to provide future generations with free choices in
terms of policymaking. SRM would require 500-1000 year deployments of
technologies that future generations might consider anathema Great
humanitarian philosophy.. IF.. we were starting with a new planet! This one
just happens to have a few ongoing problems that need immediate solutions.
Have I mentioned Methane?

I think you are also completely shorting the inventive nature of mankind.
Problem solving is our strong point, well... that and making babies!

 Not true, see analysis above. And, again, that's an infirm argument
from an ethical perspective. It's an argument that gives succor to the
likes of the American Enterprise Institute, who has embraced
geoengineering, arguing that our choices are binary: a future ravaged
by climatic effects from unstinted initiatives or the magic bullet of
geoengineering. I could say the same about your position giving succor to
the likes of ETC.

There is a third way, which is substantive reductions
in emissions, using both short-term stop gap measures, e.g. a focus on
reducing black carbon, and policies designed to effectuate a longer
term structural decarbonization of the world economy; Will, did you miss
that Copenhagen thing?

see McKinsey and
Tellus's analyses in recent years for a highly cost-effect vision of
the way forward. However, the siren song of geoengineering provides
cover for entrenched fossil fuel interests to resist such policy
prescriptions; we shouldn't permit this to happen. GE is not a siren song,
it is a response to an emergency siren....big difference.

 I'm sorry, I don't accept this analysis. The simple truth is that my
child, and her children, will live a discrete existence from me after
my passing, and it's incumbent upon this generation to both leave the
Earth in a condition that can support their existence in a comparable
fashion to that left by my predecessors, and which does not lock them
into policy prescriptions that they might deem undesirable. Erecting a
"social fence" on the issue of GE will limit their options for survival. Ask
your daughter to watch these 2 lectures and ask her if she wants to throw
the dice on this....not... happening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSTm6cZjO14&feature=related

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSTm6cZjO14&feature=related>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHqKxWvcBdg.

 * This casting of intergenerational equity as a "religion" or "media
hype" smacks of the same kind of rhetoric used by climate skeptics,
though I fully acknowledge that principles of ethics and morality and
religion obviously have a common heritage. As far as an atheist such
as myself can embrace the tenets of a religion that recognizes the
rights and interests of future generation, then I guess I found
religion! wil Will, we should all hold ethics and morality as
guiding principles and I can see how my words can
be confusing and misconstrued. However, Existential Philosophy should not
blind us to the train coming down the track. The light that
intergenerational ethics sees at the end of the tunnel, may actually be a
train called "Methane Tipping Point"..

Thank you for your patience,

Michael