Ken,

We all like to be optimistic - it is a human characteristic.  But if you
accept what is happening to the Earth System, as being discovered by people
like Hansen, Wadhams and Shakhova (on climate sensitivity, sea ice retreat
and Arctic methane respectively), then the situation is dire for every human
on this planet.  This is not a question of perspective, but an appreciation
of what appears to be very likely happening, as argued by scientists working
in the field, looking at the data - and not clouding their judgement by
wishful thinking.  None of us wants to see this.  It is very difficult to
believe that it's happening to us.  You look out at our beautiful planet,
and enjoy the fruits (mulberries today!), and it's almost impossible to
believe that this could all change - if we do not act very quickly and
effectively, on several fronts.

As for geoengineering perhaps not working as well as expected, this is all
the more reason for starting sooner, and starting on several different
methods in parallel.  Any of the methods being proposed can easily be
stopped, if it's not having the required effect - or an adverse effect is
too great.  The greatest danger is being too late - and then who we have to
blame but ourselves - us, who have seen the facts of the situation.

Most importantly we must inform our political leaders.  If the situation is
acknowledged by any country as the emergency, even without 100% scientific
certainty, then they are obliged to take action for the sake of their own
citizens, according the UNFCCC Article 3 [1].  It's our duty, as people who
understand what is happening to the Earth System, not to shelter under
misplaced optimism, but come into the open and declare the emergency - if
that's the conclusion from what is being discovered.

John

---