When developing the A-bomb, the US realized that the plausible size of
plutonium bombs (Fat Man) demanded bigger planes to deliver them. This and
other needs drove development of the B-29s, which in fact delivered Fat Man.
No other airplane could.

When time counts, carving R away from D is generally a mistake. Especially
when you don't know the real timescale when you'll need the technology.

Gregory Benford