I understand the conceptual and tactical reasons Ken cites for
dropping talk of a geoengineering research program, but Eugene is on
to something with his stinkweed analogy.  Fairly or unfairly,
disaggregating "geoengineering" into more conventional research
categories will be viewed by many as an attempt at obfuscation, and
this is an important political consideration.  It also tends to
obscure the unique nature of the geoengineering enterprise as a
deliberate attempt to intervene in the climate system, something which
should not be overlooked.

Josh Horton
joshuahorton...@gmail.com