Hi Ken,

It seems your inspiration in this is largely a defensive one. In
essence you’re suggesting that organized objection to geoengineering
will be too great an impediment, and that if there’s this pejorative
connotation that’s grown around “geoengineering,” then let’s get the
needed research done under the radar and get around geoengineering
adversaries through different add-ons to established research
programs, etc. Perhaps that should be one track, sure, but not the
only one.

In the end, geoengineering could/should never get deployed unless
there is widespread acceptance. If the very word has become so
stigmatized that one is afraid to deal with it publicly, how can one
proceed? Clearly, there needs to be broad change in its image.
Another response to the current situation could be to try to push back
against the
geoengineer-demonizers and attempt, say, to start a media campaign to
help the image of geoengineering, and to get broader comprehension of
the facts. Sure, image campaigns can take huge sums of money, but
without having any money to speak of at all, the anti-geoengineering
folks are getting quite far with their message – because they are
really the only ones putting out a message meant for the general
public. There need to be some pro-geoengineering advocay groups out
there. Right now, if you google geoengineering, you get
“geoengineeringwatch.com” right near the top, just after Wikipedia.
It’s absurd. Perhaps the new website Michael’s been talking about
should be  “Geoengineering.com” and be a simple first step in this
direction,  a site devoted to debunking the demonizers’ hyperbolic
nonsense, to helping public understanding of climate engineering,  and
to putting forth a well-balanced description of it, its real risks,
etc.  It could be one very inexpensive way of starting to correct that
situation.....

In some cases, when need be, it also might be better to simply accept
having both enemies and supporters, then to avoid having enemies by
existing only in the shadows. And I also think in your title, the
biggest open question is the “need” part. The real question is how
fast one needs to develop things now. Let me give an example: a few
months ago I was having an exchange with Dennis Bushnell, chief
scientist at NASA Langley. I felt he wasn’t taking good account of
aerosol negative forcings in something he said, and he shot back,
“This is what you do about aerosols,” and sent me a proposal that they
have drawn up at Langley for what wouldl be the largest and most
advanced chamber for cloud/aerosol studies (maybe I should post it
here?.....). Anyhow, my first thought was – wow, that’s just what’s
needed for those who want to develop aerosol SRM. But then, my second
thought: wait, there is no thought at all of getting such a thing
operational in less than a decade, minimum. And it’s hard to imagine
anyone pushing for expediting it, unless perhaps you could convince
the right people of the need of the geoengineering implications of it.
So, what if things progress very rapidly in the arctic, and there's
nothing ready to deal with it?

Lastly, if there were no organized objections to have to fight
against, I bet that you would agree that a program devoted to
geoengineering research could possibly expedite greatly getting the
minimal answers you’ll need to just those problems you’ll face in
getting a functional program up and running soon (indeed, many things
discussed on this list, like approaches to combining Latham's idea w/
aerosol SRM, go quite against what you're saying here, and demand a
unified approach to research, it seems to me). I didn’t enjoy the
exchanges about the Manhattan project, and this is August 6th, so I
won’t go there, but to take a different example - the lunar missions -
it’s a little like Buckminster Fuller’s talking about a “critical
path.” That critical path demanded lots of feeding back on itself.
It’s fine to have separate bits of research done on aerosol size
issues, various aerosol/aerosol interactions or whatever, but as
Stuart Kaufmann has said, “Idea space is infinite,” so you can get
lots of valid and even relevant information without getting the needed
job done, which really only comes about when you are constantly
getting your hands dirty, revising the very questions that you ask
yourself, and keeping looking back at the big picture, always geared
towards your goal.......

cheers, Nathan