Toby et al.,

D-5-W is a common intravenous (I.V.) fluid given to a trauma patient. It is
a 5% Dextrose (sugar) solution in water. This solution helps prevent the
body from converting stored body fat into needed energy (and thus preventing
a strong acid influx-and thus preventing a cascade of physiological
problems). Polar Stratospheric Aerosol Injection-Sulfide (PSAI-S) has
somewhat of an analogy to the use of D-5-W. In that, the use of such a
(simple) technique can prevent a cascade of global environmental problems.
Keeping the polar regions cold can prevent the need for
more...invasive...procedures.

I point this out as a means to help clarify this debate. Geoengineering has
so quickly evolved, in both scientific and engineering understanding, that
the broad use of a term such as "SAG" is counterproductive for use in
detailed discussions. I go to this length of explanation, not as a means of
correction, but as a means to help sharpen the focus of this debate.

Mike points out the reasonable logic of starting slow (and early) and
building up climate intervention means as conditions warrant. Others have
pointed out the potential use of different aerosols in relation to different
atmospheric circulation patterns to produce even seasonal effects.

Your paper does not take a close look at the physical reality of just how
close we are to seeing a methane tipping point. You have, however recognized
that such a situation would rearrange the debate...thank you. I feel that we
must focus the debate on dealing with the worst case scenario before we have
the freedom to set out long term and somewhat "Idealized" standards.
Crawling into a wrecked and smoldering car to simply start an I.V. of D-5-W
on the bleeding driver is not good quality basic health care. But, it can
lead to just that.....given time and lots of early, intelligent and
cooperative work. The core concept of "Geoengineering" is not  "good quality
basic health care" for the planet, but simply a means and way to better care
for the planet until we can move beyond fossil fuels.

Unfortunately, the concept of "Geoengineering" is so new that few people
truly understand the means, motives and even objectives of the science and
engineering. I personally see it as Geo Trauma Care (GTC). Yes, the fossil
fuel economy has traumatized this planet and I see the potential of PSAI-S
as potentially being the equivalent of an emergency I.V. procedure. However,
the long-term prognosis of our existence on this planet is predicated upon
the universal use of renewable energy, not on the use of climate
engineering.

Your work (as well as Wil Burns) on raising the different ethical aspects of
the debate is helping us get there. Ideally, I would like to see the debate
continued with focus upon *specific* emerging science and engineering
developments. Polar aerosol injection is different than "global" SAG.

We must build the practical knowledge and techniques of climate engineering
as the effects of the fossil fuel economy will be with us for generations.
Inventing an I.V., developing D-5-W and testing the two only when the car
crashes is neither reasonable nor logical. Creating social fences against
climate engineering can be a close analogy.

Thanks,

Michael

*Michael Hayes*
*360-708-4976*