Hello Dr. Benford et al.,

The term is cumbersome but is technically precise. I believe that an effort
to move from discussing the general means of climate engineering to the
specific means is important as it may help in nailing down what is actually
possible and thus probable. The cost factor can be viewed through a number
of different perspectives depending upon what type of "value" is to be
expected for a given "objective". The Mulberry Harbour was the least cost
effective long term harbor ever built. Yet, it was cheap for what it did and
was priceless during it's short life.

If, for example, tropo injection can possibly prevent the need for a more
robust means (strato injection) and the accompanying complications of
directly effecting non polar regions (both physically and politically) can
be limited, the upfront added expense of tropo injection would seem like a
good value relative to the objective. The main objective being actually
achieving the earliest steps in preventing an imminent wide area arctic GHSZ
breaching and doing so with the widest possible level of cooperation.

The short wave aerosol effectiveness can be viewed as a positive aspect on a
number of levels relative to an initial real world emergency
effort. Simply limiting the initial down range extent of the aerosol can
quickly provide controlled areas of study and data collection. This, as we
know, would need to cover everything from the sea floor biota to the Ozone
Layer. And, on a very practical note, we would only have a few months to
collect the ocean centric data due to the onset of the arctic winter.
Adjusting the technical aspects for the best possible effect could then
be incorporated in short order. The initial time aspect is not long term but
an emergency response which could then be adjusted for long term (more
efficient) means.

With all that said and for the purpose of this exploration of ethics,
Stratospheric Injection can very well be adopted as the prime technical
focus. However, which of the 2 are the most likely to be actually allowed to
initially go forward...even in a broadly accepted emergency? I would bet on
tropo over strato. I just believe that there is a need to work through the
ethical considerations of a "*focused * scientific/technical *emergency
protocol*". If that can be done for tropo, a road map for a similar eithical
workup for the more complicated issue of strato injection would be in
hand.

If a meaningful debate can be developed, based upon the assumption that a
"widely accepted imminate global climate emergency" is at hand, it may help
make clear and important distinction(s) between the realities of an
emergency and that of a long term effort. We will most likely need both
levels of effort. It is not an issue of "if" an immanate emergency will
develop but simply "when".

I did choose to use the DoE study in my previous post for a dual purpose.
One was to show the massive volume of methane which we are threatened with.
The other was to show the remarkable extent to what our global society will
go to to retain a fossil fuel economy....We are addicted to fossil fuels and
reducing emissions simply will not happen any time soon. The end of that
report gives a brief but clear warning as to just how fragile the Arctic
methane physical reality is. Yet, none of us have any doubt that, if that
area can be industrialized, it will be.

Keep in mind that the BP Gulf blowout was a result of hydrates. Also, keep
in mind the primary means to deal with the spilled oil was to burn the oil
(and methane). We will eventually see that happen in the arctic. An
Emergency Climate Engineering Response Protocol would seem to be worth
working towards.

As to the question of "what system of ethics" should be used, it is
important to explore (even through a meta study if needed) that one
question. Toby and Wil have started along that path as have others. The
overly broad nature of the word "Geoengineering" has made any practical
focus difficult. By taking a highly restricted and highly probable real
world situation and subjecting that to an informed debate on ethics, we
may see the broadest cooperation.... at least for that emergency situation.

I expect that the broader issue of long term global environmental stability
will require an evolution of philosophical thought in the area of human
cooperation. We, as a species, have questions.... and to some degree
knowledge....which humans have never been exposed to before. And, fully
developing answers to the deeper philosophical questions will take
generations. However, without an acceptable emergency response method, we
will probably not have the time to reach for those answers. Yes, the
complexities of finding a universally acceptable ethical base (beyond
Spencer) can seem pointless.

And, singing Kumbaya around the campfire does not work.

History does, however, show us that rapid intellectual/ethical evolutions
(or de-evolutions) primarily happen in response to large and unique social
stresses. Yet, human history has no close analogy to a methane tipping
point. I have noticed that those interested in using ethical grounds to
block Climate Engineering seem to not realize the extent to which we, as a
species....life as we know it, are threatened. I do hope that by getting an
in depth yet focused debate upon the survival issue, we will see progress on
that issue. We, as a species, truly do need to accept that the boat is in
fact sinking and that it is to everyone's benefit to get past the initial
ethical issues and start bailing water. Once we have some chance at long
term survival, we can decide upon the best.....ethical.....means to plug the
hole in the boat. If that basic level of cooperation can not be
achieved....soon, Herbert Spencer just may end up being the lead
philosophical icon.

As a related note on plugging the hole (ie. long term energy issue), the
National Ignition Lab seems to be involved with some interesting fusion
experiments. Here is their home page.
https://lasers.llnl.gov/about/missions/energy_for_the_future/life/
It seems that within the next 18 months, their work may produce a measure of
sustainable fusion. Even if this is accomplished and the era of fusion has
finally dawned, we will need close to 10 yrs to make any dent in the use of
fossil fuels. I just wonder if we have 10 yrs.

Thanks,
Michael

*Michael Hayes*
*360-708-4976*