To what degree of "likely" are we talking about? Also, would there be
issues with clumping which could create condensed areas within the SRM
layer which could mimic PSC? Further, will the SRM particles
*augment*PSC's warming ability when the 2 mix?

The fact that the IR energy will be coming in under the SRM layer and the
particles would be reflecting IR down and PSCs are well known for trapping
heat due to that same issue, should we not have a detailed understanding of
the full dynamics.

Does anyone have data on the actual polar atmospheric temperatures during
the full Pinatubo event?

Michael

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Ken Caldeira <kcalde...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  If we are talking about Latham's proposal, there would be no reason to
> make clouds in winter.
>
> If stratospheric sulfate aerosols in the right size range they should be
> too small to have a big impact on outgoing long wave.
>
> So, seems likely to be a non-issue.
>
> Ken Caldeira
> kcalde...@carnegie.stanford.edu
> +1 650 704 7212
> http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab
>
> Sent from a limited-typing keyboard
>
> On Mar 20, 2012, at 21:55, Michael Hayes <voglerl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Folks,
>
> As the Arctic situation is the weakest of the weak links in our
> environment and Stratospheric Particle Injection is a front runner of SRM
> methods, I believe this is a profoundly important issue. Will a *cloud*of SRM
> particles mimic a Winter Time Polar Stratospheric Cloud's ability to
> trap IR energy?
> Andrew has blocked my previous efforts to raise this question and I ask
> that he simply *stop* *censoring* this group.
>
> Michael
> --
> *Michael Hayes*
> *360-708-4976*