Morton

Iron fertilization is planned to be used in HNLCs, i.e., areas that have
high nutrient levels year after year.
So it appears that there is a abundance of nutrients in the oceans.

In the past the CO2 levels of atmosphere and oceans were lower due to
natural factors and diatom growth higher, so nutrients to support this were
available.

O2 levels of atmosphere is today ~ 21 %, peak was ~ 35%.
So nutrients to support more than 50% higher photosynthesis was available
at that point in time.

P is available only as a solid or dissolved in water, never as gas.
N may exit lakes and oceans as N2 gas but not P.

So P to support much higher level of photosynthesis was and is available on
land or in water, if it has to be transported it can be done - whether 100
tankers are required or 1000 tankers are required will be known only if we
experiment.

Excess carbon in the atmosphere is about 200 billion tons - 390 ppm - 280
ppm.
At 100 : 1, total P requires is less than 1 billion tons.

Annual carbon emissions are 10 billion tons of C, P required is about 50
million tons.

Global Rock Phosphate production is 256 million tons.
Rock Phosphate reserves in Western Sahara alone are about 50 Billion tons.
http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/phosphate_rock/mcs-2012-phosp.pdf

There seems to be no danger of running out of phosphorus.

Before you ask how many tankers are required, please read -

African dust leads to large toxic algal bloom
http://eospso.gsfc.nasa.gov/ftp_docs/African_Dust.pdf

"Each year, several hundred million tons of African dust are transported
westward over the Atlantic
to the Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico, Central America, and South America."

"Plant-like bacteria use the iron to set the stage for red tide, a toxic
algal bloom. When iron levels
go up, these bacteria, called Trichodesmium, process the iron and release
nitrogen in the water,
converting it to a form usable by other marine life. The increased nitrogen
in the water makes the
Gulf of Mexico a friendlier environment for toxic algae. The image on the
left shows a red tide
event that was seen by the SeaWiFS sensor on August 26, 2001. A huge bloom
of toxic red algae,
called Karenia brevis (K. brevis), appears on the true-color image as a
black area hugging the
Florida Gulf Coast from the Keys to Tampa Bay."

The dust contains P, Si and Fe.
N is fixed from atmosphere by cyanobacteria - Trichodesmium.

The key is to ensure bloom of useful algae and not harmful algae.
We have the key. We can prevent this dust from causing toxic algal bloom by
a very scientific fertilization to cause a controlled bloom of diatoms
instead of dinoflagellates (red tides).

regards

Bhaskar