I agree with Mike. Much of what we know about the geologic past is based on
the best possible interpretation of fragmentary evidence. While there are
contexts in which the past can serve to illuminate the present, I do not
think comparisons of Permian and Holocene oxygen concentrations are very
useful.

Regarding phosphate-rock availability, the picture is more nuanced than
Bhaskar indicates. I explored this in an article early last year
(http://www.igbp.net/news/features/features/phosphorushowmuchisenough.5.1b8ae20512db692f2a680002359.html).

Western Sahara is purported to have huge phosphate-rock reserves, but some
have questioned the actual figures. Also, mining there brings with it
geopolitical baggage and is deemed by some to be problematic on
humanitarian grounds. The willingness and capacity to explore and mine
phosphate rock depends on technological developments, the demand for
fertilisers (triggered by the need to grow more food), the market price of
phosphorus, etc. It is conceivable that any increase in production will be
commensurate with the increased demand for fertilisers, and not with the
need to supply nutrients to the surface ocean.

Finally, forrect me if I am mistaken, but 256 million tons is the projected
phosphate-rock production for the year 2015, not the figure for today.

Ninad R. Bondre