Does it matter to ETC or Paul Watson whether the intent is to increase
fishery yields versus reduce the magnitude of climate change?

Would the action be 'geoengineering' in the latter case but not the former?

On Friday, April 26, 2013, David Lewis wrote:

>  Paul Watson is known for going as far as attempting to sink ships in
> international waters that he feels are in violation of his conservation
> principles.
>
> The New Yorker profiled him in this
> article<http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/11/05/071105fa_fact_khatchadourian?currentPage=all>in
>  2007 .  A quote from that article:
>
> "He calls his fleet Neptune’s Navy, and he regards it as a law-enforcement
> agency. Moments before* ramming a vessel*, Watson will radio its captain
> and say something that sounds very official, such as “Please remove
> yourselves from these waters. You are in violation of international
> conservation regulations.” At times, he loses his cool. “We’re no protest
> ship,” he once told an intransigent captain. “Now, get out of here.” His
> sense of urgency, his impressive ego, his argumentativeness, his love of
> theatrics, his tendency to bend the truth, his willingness to risk lives or
> injury for his beliefs (or for publicity), and his courage (or
> recklessness) have earned him both loathing and veneration from those who
> are familiar with his activism."
>
> This quote from the Wikipedia page on
> Watson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Watson#cite_note-DOWNED-98>
> fleshes out his "we're no protest ship" remark above:  "Watson has stated
> that he does not consider himself a 'protester', but an 'interventionist',
> as he considers protesting as too submissive".
>
> One thing that is interesting about Watson's clash with Russ George is the
> fact that the Haida or at least some of them, are on the side of Mr.
> George.
>
> I believe this would be the first time Watson will be publicly allowing
> himself to be seen to be conducting one of his harassment/publicity
> campaigns that is aimed at stopping something a Native group is doing.  The
> broader environment movement Watson derives much of his support from is
> very much not in favor of confronting Native groups.  Watson may find
> himself in direct opposition to Haida elders.
>
> Also, it is interesting to see Watson taking an interest in the
> geoengineering issue to this extent.   Watson made his name drawing
> attention to the plight of whales.
>
> Here is a typical report on his activities:  "Japan obtains arrest warrant
> for anti-whaling group leader" where Japan accuses Watson of "endangering
> the lives of whaling crews" with Watson saying he will continue no matter
> what.  The Guardian
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/apr/30/japan-whaling-sea-shepherd
>
> Here is a 2013 report by a newspaper that has covered Watson and published
> his reporting from his earliest days
> http://www.straight.com/news/342241/sea-shepherds-paul-watson-steps-down-captain-still-sails-against-japanese-whalers
> On 4/26/2013 10:43 AM, Andrew Lockley wrote:
>
> ...However, I suggest that the allegations of a planned attack might not
> bear close scrutiny.
>
> On Apr 26, 2013 6:27 PM, "David Lewis"
> [...]

Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution for Science
Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
+1 650 704 7212 kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu
http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira

*Caldeira Lab is hiring postdoctoral researchers.*
*http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab/Caldeira_employment.html*

Our YouTube videos <http://www.youtube.com/user/CarnegieGlobEcology/videos>