If you look at current emissions (too high and still rising slightly), plus
the lock-in effect of current and near-term planned infrastructure (e.g.
the WRI report on massive planned worldwide coal plant additions), I don't
think it even makes sense to discuss CDR as anything but an active form of
mitigation of net emissions.  The notion that we'll significantly reduce
atmospheric CO2 below the current level during the lifetime of anyone
reading this is unwarrantedly optimistic.  Similarly, I don't think there's
any point in worrying about returning to 280ppm too quickly, if ever (in
any time frame meaningful to current civilization), simply because of the
scale of the problem.  The effort needed to suck over 100ppm of CO2 from
the atmosphere more than we emit over a couple of centuries and permanently
sequester it would be beyond anything humanity has accomplished to date.

I do think we will have to and will employ CDR, possibly in several forms.
But we will also have to guard against it being seen as a reason for
reduced urgency about reducing emissions.  I'm very concerned that any
non-trivial CDR effort will lead to the perception among the usual suspects
(add your own list) that the situation isn't as bad as it was in the
recent, non-CDR-ing past, and therefore they have a more time to bring down
emissions.  The goal can't merely be to stop increasing atmospheric CO2
levels, but to reduce them as quickly as we can, which will still be very
slowly.