The Seitz "A War Against Fire" article seems to have been written in
ignorance of the paleoclimate data that existed.  The Seitz argument, that
because it was hard to predict what was going to happen convincingly with
the knowledge then available fed into the computer models of the time, we
didn't know enough to merely call for slightly reducing the rate at which
the concentration of greenhouse gases was increased in the atmosphere, in
retrospect, seems ignorant..

I'm curious if Dr. Seitz was aware of the Vostok core
data<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v329/n6138/abs/329408a0.html> which
was available at the time he wrote "A War Against Fire".

Dr. Digby McLaren, and Dr. Kenneth Hare, two of Canada's distinguished
climatologists at the time were saying, in 1988, that roughly 95% of their
colleagues would agree with what was in this conference statement, which
they signed, i.e. the Changing Atmosphere: Implications for Global
Security<http://www.cmos.ca/ChangingAtmosphere1988e.pdf>which was written in
Toronto by an invited group of 400 delegates from 40
countries.  The intensity of the final plenary session had to be
experienced to be believed.  Hare wrote later that a "new consciousness was
born" at that conference.  Many scientists were present.  Al Gore was not.
 Consider the content of that statement's first paragraph.

Perhaps, Seitz, who wrote at the time, that "most scientists lack
conviction" about whether climate change was worth doing anything about,
didn't know any scientists who were actually studying the subject he
considered himself so expert about.