List:   cc Ken, Charles, Andrew

1.  I finally found the full Sept. 2013 paper at
http://clivehamilton.com/what-would-heidegger-say-about-geoengineering/ -   But
you have to find the small “pdf” symbol there.  33 pages with language that is
difficult for me as a non-philosopher  (e.g. “Being”, enframing, dasein, etc..)

   To help - there is an interesting long set of Heidegger definitions at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heideggerian_terminology

2.  I conclude after several hours of reading that the answer to the paper’s
title question would be “I (Heidegger) disapprove”.  But I missed such a
sentence if it was there.

3.  Prof Hamilton has essentially zero mention of the CDR concept - and I think
also of biochar, although I am pretty sure Prof.  Hamilton has used a word like
“benign” in the past for biochar.   The iron fertilization concept is
mentioned, but I think the words geoengineering and sulfur release are
virtually synonymous in this paper.

4.  So this note is to ask list members who understand Heidegger the question:
"What Would Heidegger Say About CDR (and/or Biochar)?"
  I looked carefully and am totally unsure -  there was considerable reference
to “nature”, differences between “world” and “earth”, entropy, etc.  I am not
asking about Hamilton’s view, but rather Heidegger’s.

5.  Here are some quotes I thought pertinent to my above follow-on question

(p 19) " Plans to engineer the climate—through the creation of a planetary
command centre—are bound to come to grief on the rock of earth because, through
all attempts by humans to understand and control the earth, disorder irrupts.”
 (RWL:  Hamilton not Heidegger speaking - and often same below.)

(p 20)   "It is worth noting that Heidegger’s conception implies a rejection of
all ethical naturalism, such as that captured in Aldo Leopold’s maxim: ‘A thing
is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the
biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.  [RWL:  Shucks - I liked
the Leopold version]
> (p22   )  Geoengineering schemes aim to confine Being to the shadows.

(p22)  Geoengineering itself is proof that the future is not in our hands, for
if it were we would not have the crisis that geoengineering wants to solve.
[RWL:  Hmm.   Here I disagree.  I think the future is in our hands.   Professor
Hamilton is missing the full range of Geoengineering.]

.(p26)   So we may say that it is not geoengineering itself that is most
dangerous, but the ever-tightening grip of Enframing that makes geoengineering
thinkable.

(p 27-28)   Heidegger was not opposed to technology. Yes, it represents the
danger, but there can be no going back to the pre-modern because Enframing must
take its course. The task is not to oppose technology but to open ourselves to
its ontological meaning and the power it has over us.86 We can then free
ourselves from technology without rejecting it, and until we free ourselves we
cannot make a good judgment about geoengineering.  pp 27-28

(p28)  Diagnosing an insufficiency of mastery, we plan to expand control over
the so-far unregulated parts of the globe—the oceans whose chemical balance we
would change, the chemical composition of the atmosphere, the amount of
sunlight falling on the Earth.  (p28)

(p28)  "Proposals to engineer the climate system confirm that we have not yet
found a way to respond to the climate crisis, except with more of the same.

6.  Thanks to Ken (below)  for keeping the philosophical discussion alive.  But
I need more help in understanding Heidegger.   I understand Hamilton’s views on
SRM, but I remain uncertain on CDR.

Ron