Brian,

I absolutely agree with you. We need agitation for CDR with improved food production: from land, lakes and sea.

The current wisdom is one track mentality. But it is moving closer to reality, step by step: (1) "Reduce CO2 emissions - by each of us reducing our carbon footprint - and all will be well", (2) "Reduce CO2 emissions, but even if we manage, it will not be sufficient to prevent climate change, so we will all have to adapt to this. Then we'll be OK." (3) "Reduce CO2 emissions, but, even in the best scenario, there will be at least 4 degrees warming. We must learn to adapt to this. It will be tough. Inevitably poor countries will suffer."

Then your read Mark Lynas "Six degrees", and you watch Wasdell's video, and you read from AR5 about the carbon budget which excludes significant feedbacks. And you realise we are in a heck of a crisis.

What the current wisdom is lacking is wisdom. It is wise (actually plain common sense) to be reducing the level of CO2 in the atmosphere, because even 2 degrees global warming may be extremely dangerous for all of us. We cannot afford to wait for this to be proved. We must give the best chance of future generations having a hospitable planet to enjoy.

(4) "Reduce CO2 emissions drastically and drawdown CO2 on a grand scale at the same time. Then there's a chance of avoiding dangerous climate change and ocean acidification."

Then you read about what's happening in the Arctic, and you realise that it is heading for meltdown, and there seems nothing to do about it. Arctic warming is already causing climate disruption. Meltdown would mean a massive sea level rise and the release of masses of methane. So the crisis is even worse that you could have possibly imagined. But you must remember there is always SRM. Fortunately several SRM techniques could together provide enough cooling power.

(5) "Reduce CO2 emissions drastically and drawdown CO2 on a grand scale. At the same time, and with even greater urgency, cool the Arctic using the best possible mix of SRM cooling techniques, to give best possible chance of saving the sea ice and preventing further meltdown."

Geoengineering to the rescue!

Cheers,

John