"What is being considered is not just a set of contraptions but a huge social
arrangement and a new global infrastructure – a so-called megaproject."

Well, our current megaproject, ubiquitous fossil energy use and unsustainable
population growth, got us to this point, so it's clear we can do things and
influence things on a global scale, no novelty here. But if we can't
effectively steer or modify (in time) our current megaproject, is the
consideration of further corrective "megaprojects" (social, political and
technological) unthinkable/unwise? In any case, it would appear that we need to
learn to do megaprojects correctly or suffer the consequences.
Greg