"We" (and I feel that term itself is fallacious, as there is no "we") have
never really done a megaproject in the sense described. The phenomena of
"ubiquitous fossil fuel use and unsustainable population growth" are not
"projects" in any sense of the word, they are emergent consequences of a
vast complex set of system.

Building a "huge social arrangement and a new global infrastructure" really
IS a megaproject - requiring actual global agreement and coordination - not
just the blind hand of the market.

So yes, "we" do need to learn how to do megaprojects - but suggesting we've
been doing one all along, and getting it wrong, is really conflating
issues. Managing the use of fossil fuel might be a global mega project in
the future, but it sure isn't one now - and population growth even less so.

Mick