Dear Rob,

This is an extremely relevant discussion for any attempt to cool the Arctic
in order to halt sea ice retreat.  (There is strong evidence that the
retreat is already having an effect on N Hemisphere climate due to jet
stream disruption, so a strong argument to try cooling the Arctic ASAP.)

The two main approaches being considered are (i) to produce a reflecting
stratospheric haze at mid to high latitude and (ii) to brighten marine
clouds (MCB) in the troposphere over the North Atlantic and North Pacific.
In both cases the aim is to cool surface water flowing into the Arctic and
thereby slow sea ice melt and allow it to reform more easily.  Much of the
surface water at higher latitudes (between about 50N and 70N) finds its way
into the Arctic.  About 10% of the world's freshwater flows in the Arctic
Ocean.

Most of your discussion has involved consideration of MCB, creating the
cloud condensation nuclei (CCN) from ships.  Since there are so many
unknowns about the effectiveness, couldn't we have some useful experiments
from aircraft, or has this been done already?  For example, you point out
that turbulence changes could reduce or enhance the initial enhancement -
and if it is a reduction this could be showstopper.

Two further approaches for cooling the Arctic involve clouds: (iii) cloud
removal to increase outgoing thermal radiation, and (iv) cloud seeding to
produce fresh snow and thereby increase surface albedo on a regional
scale.  In both these cases, we need to test the production of CCN from
aircraft and monitor effectiveness.

Could you envisage a crash programme for testing of these various
approaches, to see which is most appropriate and effective in different
locations, at different times of year and under different circumstances
(existing cloud conditions, etc)?  Has anything like this been done already?

Cheers, John